Self-care Strategies & Tips You Can Implement In Your Day-To-Day Life
Balancing home, work, school or social responsibilities can be challenging, and not prioritizing your self-care can lead to experiencing symptoms and behaviors of anxiety, depression, stress, burnout, and/or compassion fatigue. Self-care can be an essential part of your life and adding self-care practices to your daily routine can add tremendous value to your life and help preserve or improve your own mental health and well-being. An article published by Dr. Katherine Hurst noted the top 6 benefits of self-care include:
1. Better productivity
2. Improved resistance to disease
3. Better physical health
4. Enhanced self-esteem
5. Increased knowledge
6. More to give to self and others
If you are struggling with jumpstarting your self-care journey, here are some tips on how to start your journey and 5 self-care practices you can implement in your day-to-day life that can strengthen your mental, physical and emotional health.
Starting your self-care journey
Block out time for self-care in your schedule
Determine which activities bring you joy, energy, and improve work/school/life balance
Choose one behavior you’d like to incorporate throughout the week
Start by practicing that behavior daily for one week
Reflect on how your mind and body feel
Incorporate additional practices when ready
Get support and share practices from family, friends, colleagues, or a licensed professional (like a therapist)
5 Self-care practices
1. Write A Gratitude list of 5 things you’re grateful for in the morning. Writing 5 things you are grateful for every morning allows you to start your day on a positive note by feeling more positive emotions and focusing on the good things in your life.
2. Spending time outdoors in nature can increase your productivity, promote happiness and reduce stress. Here are some outdoor activities that can help support your physical, emotional, and mental health.
Go on a picnic
3. Mindfulness activities can help us to increase your ability to regulate emotions, improve concentration and mental clarity, increase emotional intelligence, and decrease anxiety, depression, and stress.
Painting and/or coloring
Listen to Relaxing Music or Your Favorite Song
4. Take a social media break
In an article published by Juliana Ukiomogbe, in 2020, studies show spending too much time on social media can increase feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. When taking a break consider setting time limits and turn off your notifications in order to prioritize your self-care. Only you know how long you should stay off social media, but it is important to take breaks that may last for hours, days or weeks to improve your emotional and mental health.
5. Pamper yourself
Pampering yourself is a great way to reduce any symptoms related to anxiety, depression, and stress and fill your self-love cup. Here are some examples of ways you can pamper yourself.
Deep Condition Your Hair With A Hair Mask
Give Yourself A Manicure or a Pedicure
Soak In A Bubble Bath
Read A Good Book or Listen To An Audio Book
Listen To My Podcast
Treat yourself to your favorite meal
For more self-care tips and strategies you can follow me on IG, Facebook, and Twitter at @owenstherapy.
Hurst. K., 2017. What Is Self-Care And Why Is Self-Care Important?
Juliana Ukiomogbe., November 16, 2020. How to take a break from social media and why it's so important, according to mental health experts